How to buy from US online stores using comGateway from Singapore
First of all, what is comGateway?
Why use comGateway?
How to buy from US online stores using comGateway
Step 1 – Sign up for a US address at comGateway
Step 2 – Start shopping
Start shopping and use the new US address. That is, shop at your favourite U.S. online stores, ship packages to your new U.S. address. If a store won’t accept your credit card, use comGateway’s BuyForMe service.
- Pro Tip: Shop via Ebates for up to 15% cash back!
- Be sure your items aren’t prohibited for international shipping.
- Always your location as United States & consider view currency in $USD- some sites offer more products or lower prices for U.S. customers.
- Need items from more than one site? Consolidate multiple packages at your U.S. address and save on international shipping.
- Use comGateway’s Time & Cost Calculator to estimate shipping.
Step 3 – Packages are shipped to your US Address
comGateway notify you as soon as your packages arrive. When you log in, you’ll have full control over what happens to your package next.
- View full scans of each package’s invoice and chargeable shipping weights
- Enjoy 30 days of free storage while all your shipments arrive for consolidation
- Make easy returns if you change your mind
- Manage international shipping options and track your packages
I brought myself some chocolate from Godiva, and a bunch of items from Amazon such as a Roku3. The 19.86 USD item below is one I brought using comGateway’s BuyForMe service – to test this so I could share my experiences with you. You can read about my comGateway BuyForMe experience here.
After following Steps 1 through to 3 above, I had my items shipped and waiting at my comGateway US address.
When you log into comGateway, you will find this under your “Ship” option.
I was a bit surprised to see that the shipping weight was higher for some products that I ordered from Amazon. It looks like you need to be very careful and keep in mind not only “Actual Weight” but “Volumetric weight” as well. (please read the “How are shipping rates calculated” above for more details).
So the important learning from my experience here that you should take note is this.
Shipping weight is determined by volumetric and actual weight of a shipment – whichever is greater.
Here are these details for each of my purchase line items. You see these details when you highlight the “Shipping Weight” in your “Package Awaiting Instructions” page.
First item from Godiva
Second item from Amazon (via “USMerchant” supplier)
Third item from Amazon
Fourth item from Amazon (my Roku3!)
Step 4 – When you’re ready, ask comGateway to ship your packages home at comGateway
Step 4.1 Confirm Final Delivery Address
Step 4.2 Select Repack (optional) and Shipping Speed
Step 4.3 Pay for your International shipping fees and add Promo codes (as applicable)
Step 4.4 Review International Shipping order
SUMMARY OF SHIPPING CHARGES
Step 4.5 Confirm your International Shipping order
Step 5 – Enjoy your new items!
If you’re wondering, I shipped mine in Jan 2016 on standard shipping and received it on Saturday 16th January 2016.
How are shipping rates calculated?
|EACH ADDITIONAL 0.5KG||$3.74||$3.25|
|SPEED OF DELIVERY
(IN BUSINESS DAYS)
|3 – 4||5 – 8|
comGateway Time and Cost Calculator
I used their Time and Cost calculator as I want to get a feel of the shipping costs now that I know my actual “shipping weight” (after my items has arrived).
After putting in my “shipping weight”, this is the results that came up.
Learnings from buying items using comGateway
Now, as key takeaways. Here are my learnings from my purchase:
- Volumetric and actual weight – Take note and think about what the shipping weight would be. Since this is determined by volumetric and actual weight of a shipment – and they say it’ll be whichever is greater.
- Use the Time & Cost Calculator from comGateway – It’s handy to use, and gives you a better view of the other costs. Though you’ll need to estimate what you think your “shipping weight” will be.
- BuyForMe service is great when you don’t have a US credit card, but don’t use it unless that’s the case. As you will need to be careful and ask them to give you a quote on the final domestic US shipping costs from your online store to your comGateway US address.
Sound good? Check out more details here at comGateway. Happy shopping!